Man Behind Call of Duty 'Swatting' Prank Gets 20 Years in Jail

Adjust Comment Print

Barriss placed swatting call to police following a dispute between online gamers.

It was at that address, where Barriss falsely reported to police that there was a homicide and a hostage situation, that the then current resident Andrew Finch, 28, was fatally shot by police who had responded with a SWAT team.

In the case, Barriss admitted making fake emergency calls on December 28, 2017, that resulted in police surrounding a Wichita house, believing there was a man inside who had killed his own father and was holding family members hostage.

U.S. District Judge Eric Melgren sentenced 26-year-old Tyler R. Barriss, under a deal in which he pleaded guilty in November to a total of 51 federal charges related to the fake calls and threats. Meanwhile, Shane Gaskill and Casey Viner are charged as co-conspirators but have yet to be sentenced.

Palestinian protesters killed in Gaza Strip
In February a United Nations probe said Israeli soldiers had intentionally fired on civilians in what could constitute war crimes. Dozens of volunteers in fluorescent vests prepared to restrain demonstrators from getting too close to the border fence.

The two argued on Twitter, and when Viner threatened Gaskill with physical violence, Gaskill provided Viner with an old address claiming that he would be there waiting to accept Viner's challenge, according to allegations in the indictment. In November previous year, he plead guilty to a long list of charges, including making interstate threats, conspiracy and cyber stalking.

Finch's family sued the city of Wichita and the unidentified officers involved in his shooting death. The Wichita Police Department said Finch was shot because he didn't comply with officers' orders to keep his hands up.

Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett said as part of the sentence, later Friday or Monday, he will file paperwork to dismiss state involuntary manslaughter charges against Barriss. Finch answered the door, and an officer shot the unarmed man. "I love swatting kids who think that nothing's going to happen", he reportedly said in a Youtube video at the time.

"If I could take it back, I would, but there is nothing I can do", Barriss told the court. "I just wish I could have rewound somehow and just never done it".

Federer defeats Isner in Miami final for 101st title
A final Isner forehand, originally called in, was overturned upon review as going long to give Federer the match and the trophy. Federer cruised into his fifth Miami Open final with an impressive 6-2 6-4 victory against Canadian teenager Denis Shapovalov .

Tyler Barriss in court in May 2018.

"I hope that this prosecution and lengthy sentence sends a strong message that will put an end to the juvenile and reckless practice of "swatting" within the gaming community, as well as in any other context", McAllister continued. The man who came outside to face police - Andrew Finch, 28 - however, had done nothing wrong and did not know about the call. Earlier this year, Finch's niece Adelina committed suicide.

Viner and Gaskill pleaded not guilty to charges including conspiracy to obstruct justice, wire fraud and other counts.

Gaskill goes to trial April 23 after having it delayed amid plea talks with prosecutors. He's also confessed to making bomb threat calls to high schools, universities and shopping malls.

Ethiopian 737 MAX: the MCAS was activated before the crash
A total of 189 people died in that Lion Air crash out of Indonesia on October 29, 2018, when the plane nose-dived into the ocean. Such a malfunction is believed to have been at play in the Lion Air crash after a sensor was poorly maintained.