Barack Obama To Urge For Big Democratic Turnout In November Elections

Adjust Comment Print

Casting aside the traditional low profile of a former president, Obama returned to the campaign trail on Friday in IL in an effort to help Democrats running in the upcoming midterm elections.

Trump this week criticized the attorney general for prosecuting two Republican congressmen, saying it will hurt the party in the November elections.

In a wide-ranging speech punctuated by frequent applause, Obama criticized the divisive politics of the era, decrying Trump's attacks on the media and the judiciary, his eagerness to work with Russian Federation while neglecting traditional alliances. The op-ed author claimed there was a "resistance" of senior officials working in the White House to "frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations".

Obama told an audience of more than a thousand students at the University of IL his successor is "just capitalizing on resentments that politicians have been fanning for years".

Having devoted most of his time since leaving office to writing his memoirs and setting up his presidential foundation in Chicago, Obama will be back in the limelight in coming weeks with campaign stops planned in California Saturday, and OH on Thursday.

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers leaves game with leg injury
After three more incomplete passes, Trubisky was stripped of the ball on a sack from Packers linebacker Nick Perry. Oh, and one of those incompletions came on a throwaway to run out the clock at the end of the game.

On Saturday, Obama will stump for Democratic candidates from California at an event in Orange County, a conservative-leaning part of California where Republicans are at risk of losing several congressional seats.

Obama is seeking to rally support for Democrats as Americans prepare to head to the voting booth November 6 in elections that will see one-third of Senate seats up for grabs, as well as all seats in the House of Representatives.

Trump, asked about that speech during a trip to North Dakota, quipped that he had watched it but fallen asleep.

Obama has spent much of his post-presidency on the political sidelines, but in the speech he was more "pointed" in his reflection on the current political environment, including President Donald Trump.

"You've got to do more than retweet a hashtag, you've got to vote", he said. "I found that he's very, very good for sleeping".

China's leader Xi looms large over North Korean anniversary
Impoverished and isolated North Korea has prioritised its nuclear weapons, achieving remarkable success in recent years. The spokesman said it was unclear whether the delegation would meet the North's leader this time around.

"They're not doing us a service by actively promoting 90 percent of the insane stuff that's coming out of this White House, and then saying, 'Don't worry, we're preventing the other 10 percent, '" he said. "Or to explicitly call on the attorney general to protect members of our own party from prosecution because an election happens to be coming up". He also will campaign this month in IL and Pennsylvania and will headline a fundraiser for the National Democratic Redistricting Committee in New York City.

Katie Hill, Obama's communications director, said Obama hopes to use his standing across the country to help elect Democrats.

"In 2016, voters rejected President Obama's policies and his dismissiveness towards half the country", Republican National Committee spokesman Michael Ahrens said in response to the Friday speech.

Traditionally, both parties see a large drop-off in turnout in non-presidential election years. The outcome will decide control of Congress and three dozen gubernatorial contests.

Republicans said voters won't find Obama's argument appealing. They also said he is better positioned than nearly anyone else in the party to raise huge amounts of campaign cash. More than six in 10 respondents to a Gallup Poll released in February said they approved of the way Obama handled the job. She is urging Americans to participate in a week of action, september 22 through 29, to get people registered to vote. "It is the enemy of the American people", Trump tweeted a month after taking office previous year. "We have the chance to flip the House of Representatives and make sure there are real checks and balances in Washington".

Elon Musk smokes marijuana during podcast
His departure came as Tesla faces the prospect of a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation into Musk's aborted plan. In July he shocked investors by announcing on Twitter that he had funding secured to take his auto firm Tesla private.

Comments